Here’s an interesting story. I’ll stick my two cents in at the end. Pay attention, there might be a quiz.
“Colorado veterinarians have a message for medical marijuana users: Don’t get your dog stoned. Marijuana is toxic in a dog’s system, they say, and has even resulted in some canine deaths.
“There are huge spikes in the frequency of marijuana ingestion in places where it’s become legal,” veterinarian Dr. Debbie Van Pelt told local CBS affiliate WTSP. “They basically have lost a lot of their fine motor control, they have a wide-based stance and they are not sure on their feet.”
Before medical marijuana was legalized in Colorado, local vets say they saw only a handful of cases of dogs exposed to the substance per year. But now, those numbers have more than quadrupled. The vets say most of the dogs are getting high from medical marijuana edibles left out in the open by their owners. Marijuana edibles are cookies, brownies and other foods prepared with a butter laced with THC, the psychoactive ingredient in pot.
And while some pet owners may think it’s funny to get their dogs high, the vets say pot is actually toxic to a dog’s system. Cats are similarly vulnerable to negative effects from inhaling second-hand marijuana smoke or eating edibles. Cat experts say many owners inaccurately believe that marijuana will have a similar effect on their cats as catnip.
“I just want dogs, kids to be safe. It needs to be treated like any other drug. If you came home with a prescription of Vicodin from your doctor you wouldn’t just leave it sitting there,” veterinarian Stacy Meola told the station.
In fact, Dr. Meola said that two dogs recently died after ingesting a lethal amount of marijuana. Such deaths are rare, but even in cases in which a dog’s life is not threatened, the dog may still be subjected to painful symptoms, including vomiting and even comas.
“We need people to realize it is potentially toxic and potentially fatal to their pets,” Van Pelt said.
* * *
Okay, here we go. I wish this article didn’t have the stink of reefer madness all over it, which it does. And don’t blame the edibles — dogs eat damn near anything and worry, no, perhaps wonder, about what it was later. It’s that “fatal dose” of marijuana in a dog that is worrisome, as I am sure it’s supposed to be. I don’t buy it. There is no fatal dose of marijuana for a human. Could there be one for a canine? I do not buy it, but I’ll look at any evidence and give it a fairer hearing than the hemp plant ever got. Prove up or shut up.
My experience has been that not all but most pets / animals don’t like smoke and stay away from it naturally. What kind of a-hole blows smoke in an animals face when the animal obviously doesn’t like it? Years ago I had a cat that, when I lit up, would come to my lap, take one hit (my next) and then either go to sleep in place or slip off and eat a can or two of cat food and then go to sleep. One hit and done — good friend there. Never brought any bud, but would share the odd dead bird from time to time. Look, I’m old and in the time I’ve been here I’ve seen only a few animals who liked to partake — and it was obvious that they wanted to do so. Most pets / animals don’t notice and get left alone. How’s in work in your house?
For the sake of discussion, my guess on the “fatal dose” is maybe the dog ingested a large amount of plant matter and got bloat. But I’m just gessin’. A fatal dose of marijuana? Maybe, SHOW ME.
Original post is HERE.
[image: Google images dogs]
Featured Partner: Meet All Your Local Marijuana Needs (Buy Sell Buds) Anonymously In Real-Time For FREE
Leafedin – Weed App – Find Weed Near You! Meet Any of Your Marijuana Product or Labor Needs Locally in Real-Time! Free Anonymous Map Weed App, Works On Any Device, Sign-Up In Seconds and Find Bud Connects Marijuana Work or Labor, New Clients, etc INSTANTLY!