The Lightning have been have been having a rough go of things lately. They haven’t won in 7 games and despite he fact that their superstar Vincent Lecavalier will be starting in the all star game, there hasn’t been must for them to celebrate this year.
This game against the Rangers was almost another bad game for the Lightning. It seemed like they wanted give this game away in the third period by almost losing a 3 goal lead and the lighting kept getting penalty after penalty. It seemed like they were daring the Rangers to come back, it’s a good thing the Rangers are super underachievers this season or else they may have actually done it. Instead the Lightning were able to end their skid by winning this game 5-3.
Around the League
- Chris Mason earned his 10th NHL shutout with 28 saves, left wing Darcy Hordichuk snapped a 64-game goal-scoring drought, and the Nashville Predators breezed to a 7-0 rout of the Los Angeles Kings.
- Alex Edler scored the winning goal in the sixth round of the shootout as the Vancouver Canucks defeated the Islanders 3-2. Edler, a game-time decision, beat the Islanders’ Rick DiPietro between the legs for the winner.
- Ilya Bryzgalov made 30 saves and the Phoenix Coyotes extended their winning streak to five games with a 3-1 victory over the Calgary Flames.
- ndy McDonald scored two goals and had an assist to lead the St. Louis Blues to a 6-1 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets.
- Guillaume Latendresse scored 3:18 into overtime to give the Montreal Canadiens a 4-3 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks.
- Dominik Hasek made 19 saves for his second consecutive shutout, and 79th of his career, and Pavel Datsyuk scored the game’s only goal to lift the Detroit Red Wings to a 1-0 win over the Colorado Avalanche.
- Ty Conklin made 27 saves to remain unbeaten in eight starts this season, and the Pittsburgh Penguins extended their longest winning streak in nine years to seven games by beating the Florida Panthers 3-1.
- Jeff Carter scored two goals within a span of 13 seconds in the second period and the Philadelphia Flyers beat the Atlanta Thrashers 4-1.
- Brian Gionta and Patrik Elias scored in the shootout to lift the New Jersey Devils to a 2-1 victory over the Buffalo Sabres.
- Cam Ward stopped 19 shots for his third shutout of the season and Eric Staal scored the only goal to lead the Carolina Hurricanes to a 1-0 victory over the Boston Bruins.