Ducks 6 – Blackhawks 3
Teemu Selanne came up big for the Ducks last night. His hat trick gave him 546 career goals to push him past Maurice “Rocket” Richard on the all time goal scoring list in the NHL. He is now 25th all time on that list. He also had 2 assists including his 600th career assist.
His three goals also helped that Ducks to a 6-3 victory over the Blackhawks.
Devils 2 – Capitals 1
Martin Brodeur held is down for the Devils but he also had some help. Brodeur finished this game with 37 total saves but the crossbar and the left post also stopped a couple of shots. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good I guess, or even better, how about being lucky and good.
John Madden scored a goal in the overtime period with only 50 seconds remaining to give the Devils the 2-1 victory over the Capitals. With this victory they are now 1 point ahead of the Senators for the top spot in the close Eastern conference for first place. This is the first time the Devils have been in first place since 2001.
Around the league
- Daymond Langkow and Craig Conroy scored, Miikka Kiprusoff stopped 38 shots and the Calgary Flames beat Minnesota 2-1 to replace the Wild atop the Northwest Division. Calgary has beaten Minnesota four straight times.
- Much-maligned Marek Malik scores his first goal of the season, and Jaromir Jagr nets his second in two nights in the New York Rangers’ 5-0 victory over the Florida Panthers.
- Andrew Cogliano’s third-period goal helped the Edmonton Oilers end a three-game losing streak and ruin the return of Joe Sakic to the Colorado lineup by beating the Avalanche 3-2.
- Ilya Bryzgalov stopped 35 shots for his second shutout of the season and fourth of his career, and the Phoenix Coyotes beat the St. Louis Blues 2-0.
- Jeremy Roenick scores the game-winner as all three San Jose skaters are successful in the shootout, leading them to a 2-1 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins.