With GM’s everyone from New York to Los Angeles with open wallets, the free agent class of 2008 is planning on getting paid some serious gwop. Heres a list of the top ten free agents available this off season. You never know, one of these guys may end up with your team. Note: Jorge Posada was just signed to a $52.4 million, 4-year contract. He would be on the list.1. Alex Rodriguez – Whoever get Alex Rodriguez is going to have to pay an arm and a leg but they will be getting one of the best hitters of our time. Rodriguez is coming off one of the best hitting regular seasons ever. He hit .314 with 54 home runs and 156 RBIs. Scott Boras, Rodriguez’s agent, will be sure to get the best possible contract. Alex Rodriguez could earn $300 million in his next contract.
The speculation is that A-Rod has only 3 teams that are really trying to pursue him. The leading candidate is the San Fransisco Giants who would be looking to replace Barry Bonds for Alex Rodriguez.
2. Andruw Jones – Everyone should be allowed to have a bad year. Even though this was a rough year, Jones, who is only 30, should get to 400 home runs this season and even though he has lost a step, he is still a great outfielder. His agent is also Scott Boras, so he should be good.
3. Torii Hunter – The Twins veteran CF has many suitors. The Texas Rangers, Washington Nationals, Atlanta Braves, and even the Kansas City Royals have expressed interest. For some reason I just don’t see the Royals getting Hunter, but you never know.
4. Barry Bonds – Whether you love Bonds or hate Bonds, you can’t deny that he can still swing the bat. Look for an AL team in need of a DH to pick him up. UPDATE – Barry Bonds indicted5. Kosuke Fukudome – The Japanese slugger Kosuke Fukudome has finalized his free agency and will move to US. He is regarded as one of the best outfielders in Japanese pro baseball. Fukudome has 192 homers and a .305 batting average over nine seasons with the Dragons and his defensive skills have been compared to Ichiro Suzuki many times.
6. Mike Lowell – Mike Lowell is waiting like the rest of us to find out if Boston will offer him the fourth year on his contract that he wants. Four year offers are coming in from other squads, will the Red Sox match it?
7. Mariano Rivera – Rivera was one of the people who was most vocal about wanting Joe Torre as the manager of the Yankees. Now that Torre is in LA, Rivera might be tempted to leave but I highly doubt it. I don’t see Rivera leaving the Yankees.
8. Andy Petite – Petite is currently debating the possibility of retirement. If he decides to return, the Yankees will make a strong effort to resign him.
9. Aaron Rowand – He the right time to have a career year.
10. Francisco Cordero – Even though Cordero had a rough second half of the season, there is a weak class of closers, he could get close to B.J. Ryan money.