Yay It’s my favorite time of the year. The season of office parties, crazy behavior, booze and hookers and oh wait…well lots of drinking and smoking and over-indulging for many of us over the next few weeks anyway. Don’t think that law enforcement’s radar isn’t on “high alert” either! Holiday season means holidaze season for us stoners and the cops will be busy trying to bust your holiday spirit…AND YOU! Here’s some tips from HALO (Haight Ashbury Legal Organization, no website) on how to keep your holiday buzz going and to Stay Safe this holiday season.
- Keep license, registration and insurance current and in your car.
- Obey traffic laws.
- Don’t drink or smoke pot in your car and don’t drive drunk or high!
- Keep your car clean; no empty bottles/cans, pipes or roaches in the ashtray.
- Pay your parking tickets and take care of any warrants.
- Keep your medicine in the trunk.
If You Are Stopped:
- Turn off your engine
- Open the window & keep your hands exposed
- Don’t throw out anything
- Don’t Bullshit the cops with any stories or needless banter.
- Be polite: “Officer if I have committed a traffic offense, please give me my citation and I’ll be on my way”.
- Sign any traffic tickets or notices to appear.
- Do NOT consent to a search of your car, your person or your stuff.
- Do NOT answer any questions and demand a lawyer…period!
The most important thing to remember is that Law Enforcement will try and trick you into giving up your rights. Know your rights and don’t be tricked! Cannabis, even for medical use is still illegal under Federal Law, but that doesn’t mean you have to be harassed if you are smart and stay safe this holiday season.