Nowadays, there are TONS of ways to smoke your weed. Blunts, bowls, apples, pumpkins, bongs, joints, vaporizers, the list can go on and on. As much as I enjoy taking a big ass rip out of my sister’s bong loaded with ice (for me, one of the best ways of smoking weed), or smoking my ass off trying to get all the colors to show in my ‘rex, there is nothing like the way rolled up weed hits and tastes. In my opinion, rolled up weed burns better, retains its flavor longer, and allows you to better control your lung capacity.
After talking about basic stuff like ‘what is a blunt’ or a bong, here you’ll find 10 reasons that support my theory. Feel free to comment if you have any others, or why you feel differently. But first, we’re going to see the main differences among these three.
What Is A Blunt?
Some people prefer the flavor the wrapper (either a pulp that has been made from tobacco leaves and formed or a whole tobacco leaf in itself) gives to their weed, or they love the smell of the blunt. Other people smoke them as a way of saying ‘yeah, I can afford to put a quarter of an ounce of weed in one smoke’. Whatever your reason, blunts are an irreplaceable part of cannabis culture.
If you wonder where the name comes from, we did too — popular lore has it coming from the brand Phillies, apparently, they have a line they call “blunt” cigars.
What Is A Joint?
Joints are relatively portable, easy to tuck somewhere inconspicuous, and don’t require a paycheck’s worth of weed to roll. They don’t break when you drop them but they can break in half or become too squished to be smokable so best to be careful about where exactly you’re putting them if you’re trying to hide them. They’re a classic for a reason: they are easy to make and share with friends. So roll it up, take a hit and pass it around.
One more thing — a spliff is similar to a joint but it contains tobacco. It seems like a small detail but if you’re not a tobacco smoker it can make a world of difference!
What Is A Bong?
Bongs rely on the concept of pulling the smoke through water in order to make the toke smoother and less harsh on your lungs. Anyone who has ever looked at dirty bong water and thought ‘I’m glad that’s not in my lungs’ understands the reason many people choose to use a bong. They are a staple in many connoisseurs home stashes, but they may not be the best choice if you need to consume your cannabis discreetly or keep your paraphernalia away from curious eyes. Bongs are most always sold as water pipes for tobacco but you’d be hard-pressed to find anyone who has ever used it for tobacco and not weed.
A good argument for the preference of bongs over anything else is that they don’t require a ton of weed to get high. Since all the smoke is drawn into the tube part, little goes to waste and you can even put your hand over the piece to hold the smoke in to draw again from even a little nug.
Blunt vs Joint vs Bong - Which One Is Better?
1. Bowl vs Joint: which is easier to conceal? Joints.You can keep them in your sock, pack of smokes, or as Eazy E (the “Would You Smoke With? of the week) would do, keep them in the brim of his hat.
2. Joints vs Bowls: Which is better for traveling? Of course, joints. I have been passed by cops when I’m smoking a joint, and as long as I hold it like a cigarette, they don’t give it a second look. If you happen to get pulled over, you can always eat a joint or a blunt. And its not a waste, you’ll be high as fuck later.
3. Joint vs Blunt: flavored papers and blunts taste so much better than those little vials of flavoring. Some strains of weed are actually enhanced with the flavor of a cigar, or mask the flavor when your smoking dirt….just saying.
4. If you know how to roll properly, a joint or blunt will burn way slower than smoking the same amount out of a bong or bowl. There is no waste with a joint or blunt (granted the rotation keeps going), whereas some people will hit a bong or bowl too hard and leave a chamber full of stale smoke. If you don’t know how to roll properly, check out this video of B Real teaching his method. This helped me to perfect my rolling. So, if you are asking me which to choose in this case, a bowl or joint, definitively a joint.
5. Joint vs blunt: papers and blunt wraps are much more portable than a piece. Most dudes I know always have a pack of Zig Zags in their wallet…smart smokers.
6. How often do you see someone busting out a pipe at a concert? Rolled bud is very concert friendly-one of the best places to spark one up.
7. Rolled weed is more sanitary. If you suspect someone hitting the blunt is sick, you can always cup your hand around it and hit it that way. Sure, you can wipe a mouthpiece, but most people use their dirty hand…defeating the purpose. And you know your gonna look like a dork handing out napkins before your session.
8. Plain and simple: a joint doesn’t shatter when your clumsy homie drops it. A blunt does not tip over and crack because you left it on the floor and knocked it over.
9. Roaches are awesome for emergencies. Definitely better than scraping bowls for resin, and much healthier too. Bonus: if your patient, you can roll generation joints.
10. A picture is worth a thousand words…
For us, the best method to smoke is rolled weed, but if you don’t know how to roll weed with paper or even how to use a joint roller, maybe it’s time to learn!