Vaping has become an incredibly popular way to smoke both nicotine and cannabis in the last decade or so, but only in the last couple years have THC vape juice products really taken over the market. There are plenty of reasons to opt for vape juice with THC or other cannabis concentrates over flower. This post will go over what THC vape juice is all about, the benefits, our recommended brands, and even how to make your own vape juice at home.
What is THC Vape Juice
THC vape juice is simply a liquid cannabis concentrate that is made by extracting the cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids from fresh cannabis flowers using CO2 or alcohol extraction, in other word, what we also call THC oil for vape pens. The end product is a highly concentrated and potent liquid that can be attached to a vaporizer pen and smoked just like if you were using an herb vaporizer.
One of the biggest advantages of THC vape juice is that it can contain as high as 80-90% THC (normally called THC e-liquid when they have this concentration, we’ll talk about it), whereas dried cannabis flower only contains around 20% THC. This allows for a much stronger high in much smaller hits, meaning less product consumed and more money in your pocket.
Then, What Is Liquid THC?
Is THC Vape Juice Legal?
The legality of THC e juice mostly depends on where you live. If you live in a state where recreational marijuana is legal like Colorado, California, Washington, or Oregon, you will have no issues finding a legal THC vape juice at your local dispensary.
If you live in a state where only medical marijuana is legal like Michigan or Florida, you will need to qualify for a medical marijuana card in order to purchase any THC-based cannabis products.
'If you live in a state where there are no legal cannabis laws, unfortunately, THC vape juice is not a (legal) option for you.'
Where to buy THC Vape Juice
Depending on where you live, THC vape juice can be purchased at a local recreational or medical dispensary. In these states, you can also purchase THC vape juice online from brands like Pax and Gio as long as they ship to your location. All of our recommended brands can be purchased online.
Buy THC Vape Juice Online: Is It Possible?
Buying THC vape juice online is now possible in many states with medical or recreational legalization. THC vape juice brands are increasingly selling their products directly from their sites. Or, you can find THC vape juice on dispensary delivery sites, like Eaze or Weedmaps. Those selling and shipping THC vape juice online are using discreet packaging techniques to ensure your THC vape juice shipment is secure and safe.
Best THC Cartridges
Shopping online for THC vape juice cartridges will quickly show you that the market is booming. However, not all vape juices are created equal, and it’s important to do your homework to make sure you’re receiving a clean product that is free of residual solvents, chemicals, pesticides, and that it’s been lab tested to verify its potency. We consider the following brands to be a trustworthy option for high-quality, potent, and pure THC vape juice.
Since 2007, Pax has been a frontrunner in the world of cannabis vaping with what they consider a “radical new approach” to experiencing vape juice and concentrates. These pods are designed to use with the Pax Era vaporizer, a featherlight, pocket-friendly, buttonless design that is popular amongst recreational and medical consumers who enjoy the clean high that comes from a THC vape oil.
Pax is different from other companies in that it partners with growers and concentrate manufacturers to create unique 500mg pods designed exclusively for use with the Era vaporizer. The company even has an app which lets you control the vape temperature settings from your phone, allowing you all the flexibility you need for a premium smoking experience.
Our top choice for Pax Era vape juice is Bloom Farms, a company known for top-shelf flavors and concentrates. They offer 17 different strains of their premium oil blends that range from 50-80% THC, which are always made with a clean CO2 extraction process and free of chemicals and additives. Bloom Farms products are available in California.
Select Elite THC vape juice oils are made using a proprietary, highly-refined distillation technique that results in a full-spectrum oil of 75-95% THC. After distillation, the THC e-juice is then recombined with controlled amounts of strain-specific terpenes to produce a heady psychoactive effect and a distinct flavor profile that stands out from other concentrate brands. Organic cotton wicks are used to preserve the flavor, and ceramic core technology ensures an even temperature for smooth puffs every time. Select THC vape Oil products can currently be found in dispensaries throughout Oregon and California.
If you’re not ready for a product with 95% THC, Select Oil has several other products with THC levels starting around 20%.
Like the Pax Era, Caliva’s G Pen Gio Pods are made for use with the G Pen Gio device, a vaporizer designed exclusively for CBD and THC vape juices.
Caliva’s flavor-filled concentrates contain 80% THC and come in three options: Cali OG, an earthy indica great for nighttime relaxation; Classic Jack, a lime-flavored sativa said to enhance creativity; and Day Dream, a fruity hybrid ideal for mellowing out any time of the day. Caliva’s THC cartridges are available for pickup and delivery in the San Jose, CA region.
How To Make THC Vape Juice
If you have experience making cannabis products or prefer to avoid products sold in the unregulated market, it’s entirely possible to make vape juice yourself with some ingredients and utensils you probably already have in your kitchen. If you’re not very kitchen savvy and don’t trust yourself around an open flame, we recommend leaving this to someone with decent kitchen safety skills, or at least doing it with some supervision and a fire extinguisher on hand. Otherwise, if you’re patient and use caution, it’s easy and inexpensive to make THC vape juice at home. Safety first!
Here’s what you’ll need to make your own THC vape juice at home:
1. First, you’re going to want to decarboxylate your cannabis flower in order to activate the cannabinoids. You can read our full guide to decarboxylation for cannabutter and other products here. In this case, we recommend grinding the cannabis flowers, then spreading them out on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Heat the cannabis in an oven preheated to 240-250 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure an even distribution of heat. By the time it’s ready to take out of the oven it will be a caramel-brown color.
4. Fill the pot with 3 inches of water and add the jar to the pot, uncovered. Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat, reducing the temperature once it starts to boil. This will allow some of the alcohol to evaporate and ensure that the rest of it continues to absorb the THC and other cannabinoids. Once the alcohol is caramel in color and at a level lower than the cannabis, remove the jar and add more alcohol until it is at its original level, then return it to the pot. Continue boiling until the alcohol reduces down again and becomes a dark caramel or gold color.
5. Place the cheesecloth over the second mason jar and pour the alcohol into the jar, catching the herb on the top of the cloth. Once the jar is empty, remove the cheesecloth and gently squeeze to filter the remaining liquid from the bud.
6. Add some fresh water to the pot and place the uncovered jar filled with just the liquid into the pot. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the temperature and evaporate until about 5ml of liquid is left. The 5ml dropper from the bottle will help you measure what is left.
7. Using the dropper, add 20ml of the propylene glycol to the jar and shake or stir the solution to combine it with the concentrate.
8. Add the liquid to the dropper bottle and enjoy! You can now use your homemade THC vape juice.
How To Make THC Vape Juice From Wax?
If you have THC wax, but want to consume it in your favorite THC vape juice pen…no worries. There’s easy DIY methods to turn THC wax into THC vape juice. Here we’ll cover two ways to transform your THC wax into THC vape juice. To start, you’ll need a few simple items, including –
There are two methods you can use, when turning THC wax into THC vape juice. The first method, takes a bit more time, but produces a higher quality end-product. The second is a quicker method, that does not require boiling water. The THC vape juice will be high in flavor, but lower in potency.
Recommended Method –
- Create a double boiler, by filling a pot with a few inches of water. Add your small empty glass container (with a sturdy base) to the pot.
- Turn on the heat, and heat water in the double boiler to approximately 175 degrees F (80C). For best results, you can use a candy thermometer for precise temperature measurement. If you don’t have a candy thermometer, just ensure the water is hot enough where you can see boiling or bubbles begin to form at the bottom of the pot.
- Once heated, add your THC wax or concentrate to the glass bowl or container. Let the wax melt, for approximately 5 minutes.
- Once your wax is melted, you’ll add your e-juice mix. For 1 gram of wax, you’ll add 1 ml of e-juice mix (approximately 35 drops). You can adjust this ratio if you’re using less wax, or more.
- Heat the mixture, until it’s back up to temperature (175 degrees). Stir until your THC wax has completed dissolved. If you’re adding flavoring to your THC vape juice, add it now. 1-2 drops of terpenes or e-cig flavoring per 1 gram/1ml is recommended.
- Once the mixture is properly infused, remove the glass container from the pot. While the mixture is hot, use the syringe to transfer to your empty cartridge.
- Let the mixture set and soak the cartridge for 10-15 minutes, and then enjoy!
- Add your THC wax to the glass container.
- Add your e-juice mix to the same container. (1g concentrate wax : 1 ml e-juice)
- Microwave the mixture for 10 seconds (adding time if necessary)
- Stir the mixture until the wax is completely dissolved.
- Use the syringe to transfer the mixture into your empty cartridge.
- Let the mixture set and soak the cartridge for 10-15 minutes, and then enjoy!
Vaping THC From Electronic Cigarettes
Vaping is straightforward. You only have to buy a disposable THC vape pen or an electronic cigarette to refill with whatever juice you want. If you buy a disposable one, you don’t need to buy any THC juice for e cigs; everything is in the device: you only vape and dump it when it’s empty. On the other hand, the refillable vape pens (as their names suggest) have to be filled with thc electronic cigarette liquid, also very easy to vape from.
Usually, every device is the same (but the ones with cartridges that are even easier to use): open the lid of the tank, put inside the THC vape juice until it is full and reassemble the electronic cigarette to start vaping.
THC Vape Juice Effects and Benefits
THC vape juice provides beneficial THC effects, and unique benefits for consuming THC, discreetly too. Because THC vape juice is a concentrated form of THC flower, you’ll feel the same effects but far more potently. And, of course, effects will depend on the type of strain your THC vape juice is.
But in comparison to standard THC flower, THC vape juice carries levels of THC as high as 80-90%. So less can be more. Here are a few of the most common beneficial effects of THC vape juice –
As for consuming, THC vape juice is highly beneficial for the lack of smell is produced. Along with the convenience of use. Once your THC vape juice is packed in a pen or vaporizer, it’s easy to travel with, and consume. No lighters, torches, or bowls are necessary. Due to the extraction and filtration of beneficial cannabinoids and terpenes, THC vape juice also has a less pungent smell. Especially in comparison to smoking or carrying standard THC flower.
THC Vape Juice: FAQs
Most frequent questions and answers
Not only does THC vape juice exist, but like we’ve discussed, it’s available for purchase in a wide range of options too. THC Vape Juice exists in online retail storefronts, legal dispensaries across the nation, and by users making their own DIY THC vape juice too.
Similar to popular nicotine products, like the JUUL, THC vape juice is contained or can be smoked out of vaporizing pen products.
A temperature of 390 F is required to vaporize THC properly. This is the optimal temperature for ideal THC absorption into the lungs, and body. Any temperature from 390-430 is most recommended, and depending on your cart’s material, 3.3 – 3.8 volts for wattage is most common.
THC Vape juice can have a long shelf-life if stored properly. The best way to store your THC vape juice is in a glass container, preferably dark in color. Exposure to light, can degrade or deteriorate the beneficial compounds found in THC vape juice. If kept in a dark, climate comfortable area (and out of direct sunlight), THC vape juice can last over a year. If kept in the refrigerator, this lengthens the shelf-life of THC vape juice.
Yes. THC vape juice contains the same compounds from THC flower or wax. In fact, Because THC vape juice is a concentrated form, it’s found with higher or more potent levels of THC. As high as 80-90% in some THC vape juices. Meaning, that THC vape juice can get you far more ‘high’ with 1 puff or use, than smoking THC flower would.
Yes. THC vape juice can be smoked and consumed in vaporizers, or vaporizer pens.
That depends on your consuming preferences, and the quality of THC vape juice you choose. THC vape juice is quickly becoming the most popular and widespread way to consume THC. It’s liked by users due to its convenience and ability to be discreet. In addition, top-self and high-end THC vape brands are producing quality, clean THC vape juice products with potency reaching 90%+.
Like consuming THC in any form, THC vape juice will stay in your system for the following approximate/average lengths of time –
- Blood: Up to 4 hours
- Urine: Up to 30 days
- Saliva: Up to 72 hours
- Hair: Up to 90 days
Yes, and no. THC vape juice will have a very faint smell, if flavoring is not added. Most THC vape juices, do however, infuse flavorings, like terpenes, for additional taste. If your THC vape juice contains flavorings, or terpenes, the smoke and juice will smell accordingly.
Yes, decarboxylation is necessary if making THC vape juice from flower. Decarboxylation activates the necessary compounds, like THC, for the vape juice end-product to deliver its’ effects.