Let’s face it, times are tough right now. Budgets are getting cut everywhere, the economy is still in shambles, natural disasters are going down everywhere. So with all this wild stuff going down, you need make sure you are going to have a little bit of bud to get you through the hard times. Prices in my area are about $25 for a gram of something dank. The recession seems to have pushed the prices up a little and the quantities down a little. So what is a broke 20 something supposed to do to make sure they can smoke everyday and often?
Conserve, conserve, conserve!
Here are some things you can do to easily start conserving your weed and spending way less after the jump.
1. Save Your Roaches – A lot of people just toss their roaches after smoking them but that’s not always the best thing to do to save weed. If you save them you might be able to throw it in a blunt and use less bud or just throw a bunch in there and make an all roach blunt. Either way works. I also smoke my roaches in a bowl if I really don’t have much else. Note: I’m not talking about people who put filters in their joints or blunts because that would not make a good smokable roach. Find a small container like an altoids container and start saving those roaches.
2. Cut off your scavenger friends – Normally when weed is excess I encourage people to share weed as much as possible because I find that when you share you develop good weed karma and when you don’t have any, often people will come through for you. You can’t always rely on that though. Sometimes you have to take matters and your weed into your own hands and that’s it. We all have a few friends who never seem to have weed or even a dutch but always want to smoke. If you are trying to conserve, it’s time to spend less time with that friend.
3. Vaporize your weed – Vaporizers allow you to smoke less bud and get just as high. They contain a heating element near the bowl so that the pot gets hot enough for the THC to be released, but not so hot that it destroys the matter. When you light a normal bowl, the contact with the flame destroys some of the THC before you get a chance to inhale it. Vaporizers eliminate that problem. It allows you to inhale all the THC possible. The only downside of vaporizers is that they expensive unless you get some good priced ones like the ones at 1 percent.
4. Stop Smoking for a while – I know it’s hard and usually you don’t want to do it but sometimes it might be better to save that $20 you were going to spend on a dub to get a larger quantity and ultimately save money in the long run. Buying in larger quantities usually takes some off the overall price.
5. Stop smoking the blunts and joints – I know, I know I love the blunts too but the fact that you are smoking them costs so much weed. A little goes in the rolling process, a little burns away while someone is telling a long story, and lets not forget the money you save on buying a new blunt wrap everytime. Save all of that for blazing more at a later time.
6. Smoke some, sell some – I’m not suggesting that you become some kind of big time drug dealer or anything but if you buy a zip or a half or something, try selling some off. Everyone has a few friends who smoke so if you smoke with them anyway, try selling a dub or dimes worth to them and you can make some of the money back, so you can spend it on some more weed.
7. Plan ahead – Here’s where some discipline comes in. Get a bunch of small dime bags and fill them up with enough weed for the day and store them somewhere. Don’t smoke more than one a day. It will last a lot longer that way.
8. Corner your bowl – If you are smoking your bud out of a bowl, try just lighting up the corner of the bowl instead of lighting up the whole bowl. That will make the weed burn up much faster. It also makes an “apple” that will continually burn out your weed. After you’ve burnt one corner simply adjust the weed placement in the bowl and burn the corner again.
9. Smoke out of a dugout or one hitter – Whether you call it a dugout or one hitter or whatever, these little things come in handy to give you that little boost you need to get by sometimes.
10. Leave some at home and store it in a jar – When you are going out with some friends or whatever, you don’t want to always show up empty handed but that’s no reason to bring the last of your stash. You know when you get home later you are going to want to light up. Make sure you store the put it in a jar. Doesn’t matter how much you buy or how often it goes, storing your nug in a jar will conserve it longer. If you keep your bud in a plastic baggy, any pressure or friction can cause beautiful buds to crush up into shake. This immediately degrades the quality of your weed. A jar will protect your bud keeping it in perfect nugs for longer. It is also airtight so you weed won’t dry out so fast.
Some of these things are hard to do but if you can follow through you can definitely save a lot of the backend. Share some of your techniques for saving weed in the comments.