Does Sativa make you sleepy? Does Sativa keep you awake? Does Sativa make your heart rate increase or decrease in intensity?
These are all questions that people have asked about cannabis sativa.
In this blog post, we answer these questions as well as provide more information on what cannabis sativa is and how it affects the body.
Table of Contents
- Does Sativa Make You Sleepy or Hyper?
- What Is Sativa?
- Does Sativa Keep You Awake?
- Why Does Sativa Act As a Stimulant?
- Are Some People More Prone Than Others to Feeling Hyper From Sativa?
- The Different Consumption Methods of Sativa and How They Affect Your Mood
- How Do Sativa Edibles Affect Your Mood?
- How Does Vaping Sativa Affect Your Mood?
- How Do Sativa Tinctures Affect Your Mood?
- How Does Topical Sativa Affect Your Mood?
- 3 Benefits of Sativa in Addition to Keeping You Awake
- #1: Energizing and Mood-Lifting
- #2: Combats Chronic Pain
- #3: Aids in Easing and Treating Anxiety and Depression
- Let Hail Mary Jane Help Find You the Best Sativa Products for Your Wants and Needs
Does Sativa Make You Sleepy or Hyper?
The most commonly known sativa strains have a significant amount of limonene, which affects your mood.
Most people describe this mood as uplifting and energizing – not sleepy.
Sativa strains help with depression, ADHD (attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder), and other ailments that cause a person to feel sluggish.
To understand how it can have this effect, let’s take a look at what sativa is.
What Is Sativa?
Cannabis sativa is an herbaceous plant in the Cannabaceae family, which has long been used for medical and recreational purposes.
The three types of cannabis are:
- Cannabis indica
- Cannabis ruderalis
- Cannabis sativa
While the indica and ruderalis strains produce the effect of feeling relaxed, sativa plants are the opposite.
Sativas produce an effect that is euphoric and energizing — not sleepy or drowsy in any way.
Does Sativa Keep You Awake?
Cannabis sativa can keep you awake.
It is therefore recommended that those who struggle with insomnia or who need sleep avoid sativa strains, especially in the late afternoon or evenings.
So, although you may want to use sativa after a long day after work, just remember that its energizing effect can make it difficult for you to fall asleep.
It’s not because it has more THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), but rather a stronger effect on the serotonin receptors in your brain.
This may make sativa better suited for daytime use when sleepiness is an issue.
Why Does Sativa Act As a Stimulant?
Sativa is a stimulant because it affects the central nervous system by provoking an energizing effect on your:
- Mental focus; and
It does not typically produce a heavy sedative feeling like Indica strains of cannabis do.
This is because it contains higher concentrations of THC than CBD which makes it more psychoactive and stimulating instead of calming.
The effects of this drug may last for up to eight hours or more depending on the dosage taken and method of consumption.
Chemical Properties of Sativa That Contribute to Its Side Effects
An important thing about these types of marijuana is that they have more THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) in them.
In the human brain, THC binds to receptor cells that normally react to natural cannabinoids.
This causes noticeable differences in the mind and body, such as increased sensory awareness or altered perception.
Are Some People More Prone Than Others to Feeling Hyper From Sativa?
Sativa can cause some users to be more prone than others to feel hyper from sativa.
This can happen due to a variety of reasons such as:
- Physiological make-up
- Method of intake; and
The effects are determined by the individual person’s physiology.
If someone has a nervous system that is oversensitive or has compromised dopamine neurotransmitter levels, the effects of THC might be increased and they will probably react more severely than most people.
Some people also have a lower affinity for THC compared to other cannabinoids so it doesn’t produce any significant reactions one way or another.
Sativa could also make users feel hyper because of the way it is ingested.
For example …
If someone inhales cannabis, they will experience a faster absorption and onset time than if they ingest or eat it.
The dosage can also affect how sativa makes someone feel.
An individual’s dosage will be determined by:
- Their body weight
- How much cannabis they have access to
- What type of cannabis sativa they have
No matter which method an individual uses to ingest or smoke, THC has a different effect on everyone.
The Different Consumption Methods of Sativa and How They Affect Your Mood
Sativa is the type of cannabis plant that provides an uplifting high.
It’s typically known to produce a more cerebral sensation, which can provide many positive outcomes for new and regular users.
- You’ll have a more balanced and healthy life.
- Your mood will be better because you’re not focused on the negatives in your life.
- Feel like yourself again, without any of the negative side effects that come with cannabis use.
- Terpenes (chemical compounds) can make you feel better mentally and emotionally.
No matter which method you choose to use sativa, the way you consume it has a significant impact on the overall experience, feeling, and how long the effects last.
How Do Sativa Edibles Affect Your Mood?
Smoking and vaping deliver instant gratification, but the effects of sativa edibles have a delayed effect.
It takes an hour (or more) for the sativa to reach the bloodstream and sometimes longer.
- A delayed response does not mean a less intense experience.
- When someone eats a high dosage of sativa, it may produce an intense experience that lasts a lot longer than smoking or vaping.
- Some people feel more effects in their bodies from eating sativas as opposed to smoking or vaping them.
How Does Vaping Sativa Affect Your Mood?
Vaping sativa is a good way to feel the instant effects of your marijuana. It is one of the fastest ways to experience the energizing high of your cannabis sativa.
One of the main differences between smoking and vaping is that, with smoked products such as marijuana cigs or weed joints, you feel the effects right away.
- It can be easy to vape too much your first time.
- Keep in mind that you can have more.
- It’s okay to start slowly.
How Do Sativa Tinctures Affect Your Mood?
Sativa tinctures are made for you to absorb in your mouth under your tongue or as an edible by swallowing.
This can bring sativa effects more quickly than some other ways of consumption.
Keep in mind:
A sublingual tincture dose and an edible tincture dose can bring about very different experiences. Therefore, it will be important for you to experiment with varying dosages.
How Does Topical Sativa Affect Your Mood?
Types of topical cannabis sativa products include creams, salves, and patches that are applied to the skin’s surface.
These products can provide localized relief from pain, inflammation, and skin irritations in addition to other conditions.
How does topical sativa work?
- React with the skin-deep receptors
- Does not hit the bloodstream
- Most topical sativa products will not allow you to experience psychoactive effects
Consider what you hope to experience before choosing a consumption method because some, like topical sativa, provide a less intense experience for most people.
3 Benefits of Sativa in Addition to Keeping You Awake
Sativa plants contain a unique chemical that creates an opposite effect to typical indica.
Sativas are THC dominant, which not only causes alertness and euphoria, but also relief from chronic pain but also increased energy.
Let’s take a closer look at these additional benefits of sativa.
#1: Energizing and Mood-Lifting
Sativa strains are known for their energizing and mood-lifting properties, especially helpful for people who have low energy levels or experience depression, anxiety, or stress regularly.
- Easier to function with a higher energy
- Provides more happiness without anxiety that might be caused by indica
- Helps curb appetite and don’t require as much sleep
#2: Combats Chronic Pain
There are many ways people can use sativa strains to combat chronic pain.
- Using sativa strains to cope with the pain and relax muscles.
- Medical cannabis patients may use a combination of indica and sativa for relief from chronic physical or mental pain.
- THC dominant strains can help with migraines and headaches.
Stress is the root of chronic pain in many people and it is relieved with this type of strain because it boosts energy levels and happiness.
#3: Aids in Easing and Treating Anxiety and Depression
Cannabis indica strain is most commonly used to treat anxiety and depression because of the higher levels of CBD.
- Sativa is a mood-lifter
- It gives more energy
- This cannabis strain promotes alertness
Let Hail Mary Jane Help Find You the Best Sativa Products for Your Wants and Needs
If you’re looking for a product that will give you an energetic boost without making you feel paranoid or anxious, then Hail Mary Jane is here to help.
And if you are still wondering …
Does sativa make you tired?
You can even find out what type of mood each strain might make you feel depending on your needs.
We’ve got it covered here at Hail Mary Jane.